Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fresh From Apple Records: Mary Hopkin

Finally, today, we get to the "Fresh From Apple Records" boxed set... of 2010.  I remember when it came out, I figured I would wait to buy it when used copies were cheaper, which I predicted would be right around the time "Fresh From Apple Records, Volume 2" came out.  Well, it's been seven years and there's no sign of a second box ever happening.  So let's look at what is NOT in the 2010 box.  I'll be doing this in a series of posts, focusing on different facets of Apple-dom.
For reference, "Beatles Blogger" has a nice post about unboxing the "Fresh" boxed set.  He also has an excellent post on the (slightly different) 1990s Apple reissues, which came out on cassette, CD and vinyl (the 2010 reissues were CD and digital download-only).  And finally, this is a listing of all the tracks on the 2010 box.  I'm using the box as my reference point (instead of the individual reissued CDs) because the box includes two whole disks of bonus cuts, which are otherwise available only as digital downloads.

Mary Hopkin is the subject of this post.  Almost her entire Apple output is on the 2010 box, including several foreign-language versions of her hit singles, some unreleased tracks, and both of her studio albums, "Postcard" (1968) and "Earth Song/Ocean Song" (1971).  What's not included are the following hit singles!

-Que Sera Sera/The Fields Of St Etienne (Apple 16): the A-side hit #7 on the US Adult Contemporary chart, and supposedly features backing from Paul, George and Ringo
-Temma Harbour/Lontano Degli Occhi (Apple 22): the A-side hit #6 in the UK
-Knock Knock Who's There/I'm Going to Fall in Love Again (Apple 26): the A-side hit #2 in the UK, and was that year's Eurovision entry
-Think About Your Children/Heritage (Apple 30): the A-side hit #19 in the UK

Seven of these songs (all but "I'm Going to Fall in Love Again") are on the LP pictured above: the 1972 compilation, "Those Were the Days" (UK #SAPCOR 23, US #SW-3395), which has not been reuissed.

A "previously unreleased" version of "The Fields Of St. Etienne" IS listed on the 2010 box, but I have no idea if that's the released version with a typo, or a truly different recording of the same song.

As far as I can tell, "I'm Going to Fall in Love Again" has never been released on a US or UK CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment