Saturday, September 8, 2018

Tracing old phone numbers from WMMS, 1976

Since it's Saturday night, what better activity than tracking down decades-old phone numbers? Full disclosure, we did other stuff first.

The flyer below popped up online and is likely from the mid-1970s... the Buzzard didn't have it's vulture-like look anymore, so I'm thinking maybe 1976?

I like old stories and I like math, so I decided to cross-reference all the numbers and find out which ones still worked.

Lots of prank-calling involved here.

I called one number and a lady answered, meaning it was now residential. I sternly said, "ma'am, for your own safety, it's imperative you get out of the house NOW." And she said "but I just got home!"

I called another number, and flat-out asked the current owner of the number, "did you know your number used to be the one for the Painesville Agora?" He sounded horrified. "What the heck? Oh my GOD! I am NOT hearing this." So I shouted into the phone really loud, "your phone number -- it was for a concert club. Is this loud enough?!" He asked me to stop yelling and said he was upset because he once had tickets for ABBA at the Painesville Agora, but couldn't go. "Why?" I asked. He said because he had gotten punched by a meter maid the day before the concert, and "nothing matches a black eye!"
I asked him, "so back then, since the band was new, did you say 'AB-uh' or 'AW-ba'"? He replied, "I just said TURN THAT SH-T UP!"

Yet many of the numbers are still valid and do not come with crazy make-em-up stories:

Community Information Services is now the Great Lakes Science Center

The Free Clinic number still works!

The RTA number may still go to someplace at RTA, but doesn't appear to be the main number

The Legal Aid number is now a dental clinic?

The WMMS "Business Line" is now the main iHeart phone number

The WMMS Cleveland Listener Line, CWRU Film Society, Karamu House Theatre, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, and Greater Cleveland Partnership (GCP) are all unchanged (though with slightly different names in the last two cases).

The Lakewood Little Theater has the same number, but is now the Beck Center for the Arts.

The Holden Arboretum is the same number but with a 440.

Everything else appears to be personal phone numbers... ironically, the one for Ticketron pops up as someone with the last name Jester!

No comments:

Post a Comment