Saturday, November 19, 2016

Slyman's corned beef v. Slyman's Tavern

The new Slyman's (in Independence) is technically called Slyman's Tavern.  And with good reason... the original is a hardhat-lunch-deli, while this new location is clearly aimed at people who are looking for a space to perhaps bring the family, relax, drink, watch the game (I counted 7,268 monitors) and maybe, possibly, eat a little healthy.  The interior has a nice wooden motif (as opposed to the authentic post-war feel of the original).  Think toned-down Melt, but with less grease.  (Forgive me, Matt, we still love the place!).

The menu has pretty much everything at the original, but with salads!  We had a Greek salad that was quite good.  I don't even need to comment on our corned beef sandwich beyond saying it was perfect, as usual.

The original's Three Stooges motif has been carried over, but it's not completely in-your-face as in the main location.  There was also a nice-looking Sunday brunch that seemed to take some cues from Mustard Seed Market's insane Sunday brunches.

All in all, definitely a place I would go back to.  It's very convenient (free parking), and it's in the exact same spot that my favorite Chinese restaurant used to be.  So during my frequent spells of disorientation, I'll be able to wander in and still get a decent meal.

I just wonder why there's a new name.  Are the owners considering closing-up at the original spot?  It's in an odd location, which seems ripe for speculators, redevelopment and (gasp) gentrification.  I hope I'm wrong, and I usually am!

For more Northeast Ohio restaurants, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment