Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Red Hot Chili Peppers Play Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland

The Red Hot Chili Peppers played Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland last night.  I didn't go; but I saw plenty of the black-and-red RHCP t-shirts around the city.  It's like Cleveland said, "no one ever visits, so when they do, we go ALL OUT."

I first heard the group's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" in... 1996.  I was able to get a copy of the white-label promo double-vinyl set, as seen and heard in the video below.  Only problem with that set is it's mixed for radio.  So the sound is a tad bright and compressed (no problem) and the swears are all muted (problem).  And they're not just muted.. they use a weird radio static effect!  Very annoying.  But the bottom end is tight and, for all I know, the CD is just as compressed and bright.  No, I do not have the CD.  And I don't want it.

Here's the promo vinyl playing a snippet of the album with a censored word, as an example of the annoying static sound.




And now, for no reason, here's my 8th-grade garage band covering "Suck My Kiss," which is on side two of the vinyl; it's my favorite side of the album since the song comes crashing to a halt and goes immediately into "I Could Have Lied."  This recording was the first time I got to use a 4-track recorder, which meant we could overdub and do some refining of the song.  Obviously, I decided to forego the opportunity to refine anything... but we clearly still rocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment