Friday, May 12, 2017

Exile On Main Street turns 45

Exile on Main Street is 45 today! I bought my copy at the Record Exchange on Howe Ave. near Chapel Hill Mall. The store had just opened (April, 1994) in a space next to Akron Music (catty corner to the slot that store is in now).
Back then, vinyl was "dead," so my friends hit the $9 used CDs while I picked up clean copies of the following for $3 each or less: "Moby Grape," " Over-nite Sensation" (Zappa) and Pink Floyd's "Meddle."
I also got a near mint, Sterling-pressed copy of Exile, complete with postcards and innersleeves, for $4.50. Right around that time I read an interview with Slash (or maybe it was Izzy Stradlin) saying he always kept a copy of Exile around. I did not care for GnR, so I didn't make it past side one of Exile for quite some time after seeing that comment.  About a year later I finally listened to the whole thing and was hooked. Here is a link to my favorite outtake from finest Rolling Stones album...


No comments:

Post a Comment